Davidson Commons East Lots 4AB - Hotel
Project StatusUnder Review
- On November 14, 2017 the Board of Commissioners reviewed, discussed, and voted 4-1 to approve the proposed plan and conditions; and, the board voted 5-0 finding the proposal consistent with the Davidson Comprehensive Plan and Davidson Planning Ordinance (see consistency statement).
- On September 25, 2017 the Planning Board discussed the project and made a negative recommendation for the hotel proposal, providing an inconsistency statement explaining their recommendation.
- On May 31 2017, the developer submitted a revised proposal to amend the approved Conditional Planning Area to allow a hotel and commercial uses. The existing approved plan permits the construction of two mixed-use buildings.
Project Timeline (Subject to Change)
Below is a summary of the proposal history and tentative schedule for consideration of the project, including a list of public meetings:
- November 14, 2017 (Tentative) Board of Commissioners Meeting: On November 14, 2017 the Board of Commissioners reviewed, discussed, and voted 4-1 to approve the proposed plan and conditions; and, the board voted 5-0 finding the proposal consistent with the Davidson Comprehensive Plan and Davidson Planning Ordinance.
- October 10, 2017 Board of Commissioners Meeting: The applicant requested that the BOC defer action on this item until the November 14, 2017 meeting.
- September 26, 2017 Board of Commissioners Work Session: The BOC will discuss the proposed conditions with the applicant.
- September 25, 2017 Planning Board Meeting: The PB discussed the proposal, issued a negative recommendation on the proposal, and drafted a statement explaining their reasons (see the Documents tab, Inconsistency Statement).
- September 12, 2017 Board of Commissioners Meeting: The BOC will held a Public Hearing on the proposal. No action was taken.
- August 28, 2017 Planning Board Meeting: Staff provided a project update to the PB, recapping the 8/22 BOC information.
- August 22, 2017, Board of Commissioners Work Session: Planning Dept. staff provided stakeholder feedback to the BOC. See the Documents tab for a copy of the Stakeholder Feedback Memo and Presentation.
- August 1-11, Stakeholder Engagement: Planning Dept. staff reviewed the plans with adjacent landowners and stakeholders and collected public comment.
- August 4, Public Engagement/Lunchtime Open House/Recorded Presentation: About 10 citizens attended a lunchtime open house from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm to learn about the proposal and provide feedback. Staff provided an overview presentation of the project, followed by public discussion and comment. The meeting was recorded and is available on the town's Ustream website. Citizens are encouraged to review the presentation and Staff Analysis (see Documents tab), and provide feedback by contacting the project manager, Trey Akers (firstname.lastname@example.org). Comments received by August 14, 2017 will be included in the staff update to the Board of Commissioners at the August 22 Work Session.
- August 4, Site Walk: About 20 citizens attended a site walk with the project manager and landowner/developer at 9:00 am. The proposed plans were briefly reviewed and attendees walked the project site's Griffith St. frontage as well as the adjacent Roosevelt Wilson Park property and along Westside Terrace, a street with homes abutting the project site's southeastern boundary.
- July 31, Joint Work Session: The Board of Commissioners and Planning Board gathered to informally review the proposal and make recommendations. Staff delivered an overview presentation of the project, which was followed by an applicant presentation and questions + discussion by board members. The event was live-streamed and is available for viewing on the town's Novus Agenda website.
- May 31, 2017, Application Submitted: A complete application was submitted for a Conditional Master Plan Amendment.
- March - May 2017: The applicant presented various revisions to staff and received feedback.
- Late February 2017: The applicant re-engaged staff with revised design based on TIA, PIS feedback.
- Mid-February 2017: Transportation Impact Analysis (TIA) Finalized, Accepted by Staff
- November 2016, Transportation Impact Analysis: Begun by ind. contractor selected/overseen by staff and paid for by developer.
- October 26, 2016, Public Input Session Report: Applicant submitted a PIS Report detailing public feedback and design action items.
- October 3, 2016, Public Input Session: Staff hosted well-attended introduction to proposal; citizen feedback collected.
- September 2016, Application Review: TOD & Meck. County staff reviewed Sketch Plan and prepared for Public Input Session.
- August 26, 2016, Application Submitted: A complete application for a Concept Plan was submitted.
- April - August, 2017, Concept Plan Preparation: The applicant presented various revisions to staff and received feedback.
- October 6, 2015: Developer met with town officials and staff to informally discuss the possibility of a hotel on Lots 4AB.
Plans, Board of Commissioners Staff Analysis & Presentation [November 14, 2017]
- Consistency Statement: The Board of Commissioners' consistency statement outlines ways in which the approved plan is consistent with the Davidson Comprehensive Plan and the Davidson Planning Ordinance.
- Staff Analysis: The Staff Analysis materials include the Planning Board and Staff Recommendations, the final conditions updated 11/10/17, the final version of plans updated 11/7/17, and previous plans (see Attachments A-D of the Staff Analysis). A copy of the 11/14/17 presentation is included as part of the Board of Commissioners agenda packet on the agenda webpage.
Plans, Planning Board Staff Analysis & Presentation [September 25, 2017]
- Current Plans, Staff Analysis & Presentation: These materials include plans and conditions updated 9/21/17, along with the most recent staff analysis and presentation for the 9/25/17 Planning Board meeting. The Planning Board discussed the plans and made a negative recommendation concerning the proposal, providing an inconsistency statement explaining their decision.
Stakeholder Feedback Memo + Presentation [August 22, 2017]
- Staff Memo & Feedback Overview Presentation: These materials summarize the stakeholder feedback received during the public engagement period in early August.
Lunch & Learn Presentation [August 4, 2017]
- Overview Presentation: This presentation complements the Joint Work Session Staff Analysis, reviewing a history of the site; relevant plans and policies; previous plans; and, the current proposal. The presentation was recorded and can be viewed on the town's Ustream webpage.
Joint Work Session [July 31, 2017]
- Staff Analysis: The purpose of the Staff Analysis is to assess the updated, proposed plan against existing standards; provide the public, Planning Board, and Board of Commissioners with the known facts; and, offer direction on which topics have been addressed and/or should be further explored. See the Lunch & Learn entry above for a copy of the presentation delivered at the Joint Work Session.
Frequently Asked Questions [July 26, 2017]
- Frequently Asked Questions: The FAQs represent an abridged version of the Staff Analysis posted above. While providing some detail, the document focuses mainly on the most commonly discussed topics.
Conditional Master Plan [May 31, 2017]
- Master Plan Schematic Design (Site Plans)
- Architectural Renderings: Note: These are conceptual renderings of the building. If the master plan is approved, final approval of the building's architectural design would occur through a separate Individual Building Process involving Design Review Board (DRB) approval. The Design Review Board is a quasi-judicial body comprised of citizens in various fields, including architecture, engineering, and preservation, among others, that issues binding guidance concerning a proposed building's design.
Transportation Impact Analysis [February 2017]
- TIA Report: TIA's area computing modeling exercises used to evaluate whether the scale of development is appropriate for a particular site and what improvements may be necessary on- and off-site to provide safe and efficient access for vehicles, pedestrians, and other users. The report includes an Executive Summary. The report's findings are also discussed in the JWS Staff Analysis posted above.
Public Input Session [October 3, 2016]
- Preliminary Staff Analysis:
- Public Input Session Report: This report was prepared by the applicant and submitted to the Town on October 26, 2016.
Concept/Sketch Plan [August 26, 2016]
Previously Approved Plans, Lots 4A-D [Pre-2016]
- Woodies Automotive Conditional Master Plan (2013)
- Davidson Commons East Master Plan - Phase 2 (2010)
- Davidson Commons East Master Plan (2007)
- Developer: Nish Patel, Beacon IMG, Inc.,
- Property Owner: Davidson Commons East Condominium Associates
- Attorney: Susan K. Irvin
- Site Designer: Geoscience Group, Inc.
- Architect: The RBA Group,
- Town Staff Project Manager: Trey Akers, Senior Planner,